Jul 22, 2010

Relax, and That’s Your Money Shot!




Originally I selected Errantry Lodge because, besides my friends’ strong recommendation, of the photos of comfortable and spacious guestrooms on Errantry’s website. Other than the comfy guestrooms, friends specifically mentioned Arthur’s portrait service. “Arthur has won many photography competition awards!” My friend emphasized. To be honest, for a person who always hid behind a camera and took group photos of friends, been “shot”  somehow made me nervous, as 1) I didn’t think I was photogenic; 2) my body was rigid and inflexible and could hardly come up with elegant poses, and both were the reasons why I hesitated. Hence, portrait service was never a priority on my list.

After settled into the aborigine room that was more comfortable than anticipated, my sleep was as sound as I imagined it to be.  Next morning Arthur took us, who tried so hard to wake up early, ride pleasantly along the biking trail neighboring the Central Mountain Range. Surely enough, the scenic view and fresh air awakened me from my half-asleep state. I could not help myself but to gulp the clean oxygen not to be found in metropolis, and almost immediately it lifted my spirit. Right then, Arthur suggested to take photos for everyone. In a relaxed state, me, who were camera shy, suddenly forgotten my unfamiliarity and joined the crowd for group photos and individual ones.



I freshened up a bit after enjoyed three hours of biking tour, Arthur suggested us to continue the photo shoots on the 4th floor studio. “A studio?” Although I had already seen from Errantry’s website the exclusive studio designed for its guests, but I was still surprised, as that inflexible self returned once again! With uneasiness, I followed Arthur up to the studio, and the first thing I saw was a fairytale like background. He likes the painter Mei-yan Chen and her picture books, and with her consent he began to craft a illusionary photographic space. To be honest, at first glance of this background, I so want to sit inside and indulge in my fantasies. The background also relaxed this stiff body of mine. All I could remember afterwards was hearing the series of shutter clicks. Arthur recommended me with many advices on photo shoots, also provided magazines for reference, and allow me to choose poses that were most comfortable for me, enjoying a feeling of been a model. Unknowingly Arthur had already taken dozen of shots.

After plunged back into hectic life of Taipei, I received the photo album and my personal key ring from Arthur, and it was pleasant and surprising, as the one appeared in the photo was not that inflexible self, nor was it a sad face who worked furiously and always rushing for the bus. In the photo, the person smiled naturally, not the most beautiful woman in the world, but she had a unrestrained and joyful expression. I had to say, Arthur captured the child within me. I sent those photos to friends, and even they were amazed: “Even you have relaxed moments like these!” They had spoken the same doubt that puzzled me. Looking back, those few days at Errantry were the days when I was truly relaxed, whether it was the beautiful sceneries of Hualien, or the hospitality of Errantry, truly made me feel at ease. No wonder the person on the photo could be so comfortable and relaxed, because it was precisely my state of mind. If you are camera shy like me, then you must come and experience the portrait service of Errantry; If you are photogenic in front of a camera just as if you are on a runway, then you definitely cannot miss Arthur’s photographic skills!




I think, I have found the child within me!

By April

No comments:

Post a Comment